Thursday, April 11, 2019

Nathan A's Blog Reflection

Pictured: Me while reading Nathan's posts
I quite enjoyed reading Nathan's blog posts, and I liked their insightfulness. I feel kinda bad, though, my Cinderella post was looong. Also now I wanna go read everyone's blogs. But I'll do that later.
 
He makes a very good point in his Child as a Hero post that the children in those tales are heroic, and good role models, because they are able to save themselves or even someone else, despite being small children, who society often views as weak and helpless. But these tales show that you don't have to be a big strong knight in order to do heroic things, and you don't need to wait around for a big strong knight to come save you-- you can save the day just using your wits and your own two hands, even if you're a kid.

We both decided that "Bluebeard's Egg" was our favorite tale, although we mentioned different things about it. He felt Sally was dissatisfied with her dumb husband, while I just found it amusing how often she called him stupid. I think Nathan has a much better point, though, that Sally feels Ed "isn't romantic, sweet, and charming husband to complement her "princess" status". I never really thought about it like that but it makes a lot of sense, and I agree. Nathan also pointed out that there wasn't any gore or violence in "Bluebeard's Egg", something readers would expect given that it's a Bluebeard story, but don't get. We both pointed out and liked the ambiguity of whether something is actually happening between Marylynn and Ed or not. This blog post is really funny: Nathan says "this tale reminds me of an old soap opera episode", which I LOVE (and totally agree with).

Nathan talked about Pretty Woman in his Cinderella blog post, and he pointed out something I hadn't noticed before. He said that Vivian puts on the appearance of someone better than herself-- by telling Edward that her rate is $100/hour, like Kit suggested, he would assume that was her rate for everyone, not just him cause he's rich, and therefore also assume she's really good at her job. Nathan points out how that this is a common Cinderella trope-- Cinderella dresses up in her fancy clothes for the ball and so when the prince sees her, he believes she's a princess or someone rich, even though she definitely isn't. I never made that connection before, although I think it's a really good connection to make.


In short, I enjoyed reading Nathan's posts, and they made me think about certain things that I hadn't before. Good job Nathan!

No comments:

Post a Comment